It has always been a tradition in our family to try something new before the year ends. Last December 21, 2012, we all agreed to visit our neighboring country up north to experience their unique culture and yes …to enjoy the weather. Taiwan is a sub-tropical country. It does not snow heavily (in fact… it does not really snow) but is fairly cold enough for you to put on your best winter clothes and enjoy walking while having fun and taking pictures. Of course, we didn’t visit Taiwan just for the weather. The island is known for its towering mountains, beautiful coastal sceneries and world artifacts. Our family fell in love with this island. We visited their museums and plays; learned about their culture and tasted the best ramen. So before I talk about our wonderful experience in Taiwan, I would like to share with you my travel essentials and some few tips on how to travel from warm to cold.
- THINK MULTI-USE-SCARF– I consider this multi-tasker thing, scarf, as my best friend because it is the most versatile way to keep you chic and warm at the same time. It could be an accessory to your wardrobe by wrapping it around your neck or beautifully tying it around your bag or suitcase. It could also double as pillow or blanket on chilly flights and cover up if you suddenly plan to hit the beach. Bring a basic black and brightly colored scarf in different prints to instantly perk up your wardrobe.
- WEAR A CASHMERE CARDIGAN– When traveling from warm to cold country, I usually bring with me a tight cotton knit that can be open at the front or button down cardie. Cardigans are classic and comfortable. They mix well with just anything; pair it with skirt for lady –like – school girl type, or shorts/ pants for that cute and easy going vibe. It could also be worn as a pullover for dressy evening. I believe that when it comes to traveling, it is all about comfort and function.
- DON’T FORGET THE CAMERA- whether point to shoot or high end SLRs or DSLRs… bringing the camera is the most important thing for travelers because it captures the perfect moment in a fraction of second. The photos are a way of feeling, of touching and of loving the moment. It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.
- GO COMFY-DRESSY-FUNCTIONAL -SHOES- Shoes are definitely the finishing touch in your outfit. It could either complete your look or totally wreck it. When traveling in a cold place, boots and ballet flats are my luggage fixture. I pair it with black tights for a more sophisticated look.
- YOUR BIG STATEMENT BAG- Your bag should be able to hold all the essential items that you need such as cellphones, passport, credit cards and purse. It should also have extra room for your touch-up kits or make-up kit and a compartment for small things like hotel keys. On top of it, it should be functional and stylish. Since, my basic clothes are all in dark colors I opt for a pop of color like RED and TEAL to complement my style.
What’s your travel essentials? Share your thoughts…Xīwàng néng tīngdào nín de dàolái (hope to hear from you soon) Xièxiè (thank you)
XOXO – GIADRE